Ah, Buffalo wings. The King of Finger Foods, Prince of Party Platters, Headmaster of Happy Hours. They're not made from buffalo (but they were made in Buffalo, NY), and they're not just wings any more, but they ate the quintessential snack food for bar patrons and sports fans everywhere. An order of these babies with a nice, cold draft beer is as close as it gets to the perfect appetizer, and bars and restaurants from all over often vie for the coveted title of "Best Buffalo Wings".
Back in July, we posted about the Meriden "Wing-ing' It" event held at il Monticello Restaurant where several local vendors gave their all to provide the best in the Buffalo wing experience (check out video here!). Now it's Wallingford's turn to turn up the heat with their own Buffalo wing bash.
On Wednesday, September 7th, Wallingford's Villa Capri will be the site of the second "Wing"-ing It Event where locals will converge to decide who has the best Buffalo wings in four categories:
- Most Original
- Best Overall
Again hosted by The Meriden Record-Journal, admission is $10 per person and the event begins at 5:30 PM and runs until 7:30 PM. Get there early and pre-register for the 2 Alarm Fire Wing Eating Contest that will take place at 7 PM. If you were one of the lucky ones who subscribe to the Record-Journal's Deal of the Day, then you may have seen the deal they offered on two tickets to this event for only $10. Hopefully you snapped that one up quick!
Here's a partial list of vendors taking part in the Best Wing competition (list subject to change):
- KT Baxter's
- Peeps All Inn Cafe
- Primo Pizza
- Sabbatical's Cafe (last year's champ!)
- Slider's Sports Bar & Grill
- Tata's Restaurant
- Buffalo wings were first made in 1964 at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY by Teressa Bellissimo
- Residents of Buffalo, NY generally call them wings, or chicken wings, not Buffalo wings
- In 1977, July 29th was proclaimed Chicken Wing Day in Buffalo
- The Super Bowl helped kick this dish into superstardom when the Bills were in it four years in a row.
- Buffalo wings are traditionally served with celery sticks and bleu cheese or ranch dressing to counteract the spiciness of the sauce.
- You can buy the original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing sauce here.
- And here is the original Anchor Bar recipe for making their wings.