Wow, what a busy time of year this is! We’ve recently written about some of the many activities going on locally, such as the Holiday Stroll, the Quinnipiac Chamber Holiday House Tour, and myriad craft and vendor fairs hosted by various private and civic organizations. Since the Christmas season is well known as a time for giving back to those less fortunate, it’s only appropriate that we tell you about some of the toy and gift collection drives that are coming up in the area. There are plenty of them, so if you can’t make one (or want to patronize more than one) then you’ll have several to choose from!
- Yankee Cloth is collecting new, unwrapped toys for kids ages 1 to 7, as well as toothbrushes and toothpaste. The toys will be donated to the Holiday for Giving program. Items can be dropped off at 411 Center Street Tuesday through Friday from 10AM to 5PM, and Saturday from 10AM to 4PM. For more info, visit www.holidayforgiving.com.
- Statewide fishing clubs will be collecting toys to fill their boats from 10AM to 2PM on Saturday, December 15th at the Wallingford Walmart store. The toys will be distributed to children by the US Marines for the holidays.
- Adamo’s Garage is collecting toys for the Wallingford Holiday for Giving program, who will distribute the toys to children in need during the holiday season. New, unwrapped toys can be dropped off at the garage at 601 Center Street.
- Sabbatical’s Café will sponsor a toy drive to benefit Master’s Manna and the Wallingford Wishing Well until December 16th. Toys can be dropped off at 181 North Colony Street. For more info, call (203) 679-0574.
- The Marine Corps League will be accepting donations of new, unwrapped toys for the US Marine Corps’ Toys for Tots program until Saturday, December 22nd. Toys can be dropped off from 10AM to 2PM Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at the Thrift Store at 6 Grove Street, or by calling for an appointment at (203) 235-5635.
- The Hair Cuttery, a salon at 496 South Broad Street (Silver Commons) is serving as a drop-off site for Toys for Tots this holiday season. Until Tuesday, December 18th, customers can drop off new, unwrapped toys in their original packaging and they will be distributed to children in need.
- Cox Communications in the Rhode Island and Connecticut markets is supporting a nationwide Cox holiday campaign to benefit the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Donations of new, unwrapped toys can be dropped off at the local Cox Solutions Store at 687 East Main Street. The campaign runs until December 24th, and the toys will be donated to the local Boys & Girls Club.
- The Kiwanis Club is collecting gently used winter coats for the Salvation Army to be distributed to those in need this winter. Donations can be dropped off at: the office of Robert Gollnick, CPA, 83 Broad Street; Spuire Travel/Diversified Physical Therapy, 1260 East Main Street; and the Sandman gallery and Frame Shoppe, 14 West Main Street. For more info, visit www.meridenkiwanis.org or www.facebook.com/meridenkiwanis.
- Local mortgage company BCI Financial is working with Toys for Tots by serving as a collection point for donations of new, unwrapped toys in their original packaging to be distributed to children in need this holiday season. Toys can be dropped during business hours, 8:30AM to 5PM, Monday through Friday at 219 South Main Street up until Wednesday, December 19th.
- Central Connecticut Chiropractic is also serving as a drop-off point for the Marines Toys for Tots program. Donations of new, unwrapped toys may be dropped off at 391 Highland Avenue on Thursday, December 13th from 11AM to 4PM, and you can also have your picture taken with Santa Claus and the US Marines! For more info, call (203) 272-3239.
- Applications are now being taken by the Southington Community Services, 91 Norton Street, for Christmas food baskets and holiday gifts. The program is available to qualified Southington residents (proof of income is required). For more info or to schedule an appointment, call (860) 628-3761.
- The Southington Salvation Army, 91 Norton Street, accepts donations throughout the year. For information about the various programs provided by the Southington Community Services, contact Janet Mellon at (860) 628-3761.
- Santa Claus will be at the Outback Steakhouse, 817 Queen Street, on Monday, December 17th from 4PM to 6PM accepting donations of new, unwrapped toys for the Toys for Tots program. All children will have the chance to talk with Santa and will receive a candy cane and a coupon for a free kid’s meal.
So, that’s it so far; we’ll update this post periodically as more toy and gift collections become available, so be sure to check back often!