Buffalo wings are about as good as it gets it the appetizer world, as the millions of patrons of sports bars everywhere will attest. What’s better than watching the Super Bowl with a big plate of wings, a cold beer, and some blue cheese and celery to take the edge off? Give up? (No, that was NOT a rhetorical question!) How about the first ever Wing Fest of Meriden & Wallingford?
When: Wednesday, January 23rd
Time: 5:30PM – 7:45PM
Where: Villa Capri, Wallingford CT
Cost: $10 per person
A Combined Event
Unlike past wing eating contests that featured either Wallingford or Meriden restaurants, this year’s event combines popular wing establishments form both towns into one big wing fest. Another change this year is that the Meriden Record-Journal is no longer a sponsor and has been replaced by Perfect Type, a local graphics design shop that is creating the flyer for this event, and the Villa Capri.
- Knucklehead’s (Wallingford)
- K.T. Baxter’s (Wallingford)
- Ryder’s on Main (Meriden)
- Scotty O’Boyle’s Café (Meriden)
- Tata’s (Wallingford)
Judging will be done by the public and winners will be decided for the Best Original Wing, Best Specialty Wing, and the Hottest Wing. Plus, guest judges will also award the Best Overall Wing to one lucky wingmaster!
All For a Good Cause
Besides having lots of fun eating some great wings, you’ll also be supporting a great cause, the Meriden Humane Society. All proceeds from the event will go to them and you can also bring an item from this list if you want to further help out the MHS (not required, just if you want to):
- Purina Cat Chow in the blue bag
- Purina One Chicken and Rice dry dog food
- Canned cat & dog food
- Large trash bags
- Paper towels
- Lysol disinfectant wipes
There will also be a cash bar, a hot wing eating contest, and DJ Rico Entertainment has graciously donated his talents to keep your feet tapping while you eat. All in all, it should be a great time for everyone. I know we’re looking forward to it, and we hope to see you there!
Buffalo Wing Trivia
- Buffalo wings were first made in 1964 at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY by Teressa Bellissimo
- Residents of Buffalo, NY generally call them wings, or chicken wings, not Buffalo wings
- In 1977, July 29th was proclaimed Chicken Wing Day in Buffalo
- The Super Bowl helped kick this dish into superstardom when the Bills were in it four years in a row.
- Buffalo wings are traditionally served with celery sticks and bleu cheese or ranch dressing to counteract the spiciness of the sauce.
- You can buy the original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing sauce here.
- And here is the original Anchor Bar recipe for making their wings.